Sunday, June 13, 2010

Maybe Today...

Drat! I broke the shiny new riding lawn mower/tractor! Just like that. No more than 10 minutes in to the long awaited experience of mowing while sitting, I hit a rock that completely bent the shiny new mower blade which caused it to bend, damage the housing, and stop the mower dead in its few tracks. We drove to Sears for a new blade and a longer wrench (because the bugger is darned difficult to remove), came home, took a break to watch (more) soccer, and then tried to get the old blade off and a new one on. John gave it his all while I "assisted" (asking questions like "Are you going counterclockwise?" and "Are you sure you've got it on the right thingee?"....all the helpful things). We finally agreed to pay someone to come out and do it. Perhaps someone with power tools. They will be here Wednesday. Meanwhile, it sits in the garage, all shiny and red.

To avenge my misdeed, I continued mowing with the regular mower. I got through about half of the lawn/meadow/jungle clearing and will be back at it today. John got in a little time preparing the fourth and final vegetable garden bed. The other three have benefited from the rain and are coming along nicely! I really need to look into ideas for dealing with (apparently a lot of) rutabagas, It's the first really nice weekend here, in the 70s and no hint of rain. Hopefully the low-lying areas of the "lawn" will begin to dry out. I look forward to sitting out on the deck in the evenings, chatting about nothing of consequence, and just breathing in fresh air.

We spent the evening with friends last night attending a fundraiser at a local sports bar for the local Domestic Violence group. It was a comedy night with a not-too-awful comedian all the way from Denver! It was fun nonetheless. I'm easy to please and enjoyed the company and the laughs.And the Guinness.

John was away in Cali last week per our routine. He missed out on the first thunderstorm accompanied by some really hard rain! But the week seemed to go by quickly. Still working on that little project for the purse. When the fabric was cut and prepped, there was a mismatch in size with the crocheted hemp squares. I decided to make larger fabric squares and go from there. But I need to get more fusible webbing and I haven't been able to get to the store to do that (working cuts into my time that way). And, of course, yesterday was spent fretting over the lawn mower incident. Maybe today.

I think that could be a new motto: Maybe today...

No comments:

Post a Comment