Sunday, October 24, 2010

Small Things Inside a Big Life...

It looks like we're in for some rain. Real Pacific Northwest rain; the kind that stays around for a while. By all predictions, this one's here all week and maybe then some. So, today might be the day to clear the garage space for the car. At least I can start the day in a dry state when I head out somewhere.

Today I will  post an assignment for my online course and this afternoon I will have a too-short visit with a friend who's in the area briefly. The rain has squashed John's plans for completing the raised garden beds today. An indoor day might allow for watching some soccer, though. Last night we met up with some friends for dinner and dancing. I think *maybe* we are learning something in those classes we've been taking for the past few years! Mind you, we always take the beginner class, but maybe it's starting to stick. Last night we did some (recognizable) fox trot, waltz, lots of swing, and then some free-form stuff to a Rolling Stones tune. We had a good time.

I've collected all the potatoes that John dug up last weekend and have them in storage in the garage. I don't know how long you can store potatoes. The lesson learned is that potatoes grow very well here. I had no idea. Our other successes were beets, beans, peas, leeks, and the swede (or rutabagas). We didn't do so well with our carrots, winter squash, cucumbers, or broccoli, and the verdict is still out on the brussel sprouts. We had moderate success with kale and lettuce. It was a learning year though and a very late start to planting. The seed catalogs are arriving already. 

Zoe goes to her new vet on Tuesday to have a lump removed from one of her back legs. While she's under she'll also have her teeth cleaned and get her nails trimmed. The last item will save all of us a lot of anxiety. I won't have to do it and she won't know it's being done!

The humans in the house will spend the week at work (though John's commute will be a stair climb this week). Unless we go looking for it, Halloween will be quiet. And November is right around the corner and picking up speed....

No comments:

Post a Comment