Sunday, November 14, 2010

Blog Post #101!: Family and Friends...


As I go to post this entry, I see that I have written 100 posts so far. That's pretty amazing as I never intended that this would serve any purpose other than to let people-who-were- interested know what we were up to in our "new" place. I was avoiding repeating a lot of information in emails and letters by posting it here. So, it's a revelation to me that I found that much stuff to write about and that it has gone on that long! And I'll continue to post because I enjoy journaling this trivia that passes for life. So, read or not.The place is not so new anymore and the activities are becoming more routine. But inside that routine are some surprises and a life-being-lived...
Last weekend we hosted a houseful from across the country: my two sisters, one brother-in-law, two offspring and a soon-to-be son in law. They arrived on Friday afternoon and the last group departed Monday morning. It was fantastically fun and despite being pretty tired at the end of it, I’d do it again in a heartbeat. We all went to the monthly Farm Breakfast and we spent a little time strolling the ‘burg on Saturday. But the bulk of the fun was at the house where we cooked, laughed, played cards, told stories, and just “hung out”. It wasn’t the best time of year to go out and do much as November likes to rain here. But the temperatures inside the house were warm and the company was “sunny”.  The house performed well. Everyone had a place to sleep (if not a proper bed) and there was plenty of hot water. We put 8 around the dining room table easily and that island in the kitchen performed as the conversation hub I envisioned. All good stuff. We must make time to do this more regularly.
Monday brought us back to the work week routines. John had to take the Z-dog to the vet to have her surgical staples removed. She is in fine form. At work, I transitioned to a new role that begins officially tomorrow. I moved physically into new digs and organizationally into a new department. The role was created to bring an educator into the Quality Department to design programs specifically related to patient safety and quality care measures. I’m looking forward to being useful in a new way.
As I said, November likes to rain. However, John was able to catch a bit of dry weather to bring in some horse manure for the garden beds. “Some” horse manure translates into a pick-up truck load. We are grateful to our friends who let us have it for the asking. They have two rescue horses that produce the stuff regularly, so they are also grateful that we are willing to empty out a composting stall now and then. It seems like a good partnership. And we like them for other reasons as well. Establishing friendships in new places is really a blessing.
Last night we dressed ourselves up in fancy clothes and went to a “ball”. It was a charity event with dinner and dancing. We’re getting more comfortable on the dance floor. And it does give us a reason to get out of the cocoon/house on a rainy evening. We enjoyed the company of our friends who moved to Poulsbo from Fremont previously and chatted with some new folks, exchanging stories and laying the groundwork for those friendships yet to be.
Today I’ll put on my student persona as I get my week’s homework and assignments completed for the UW course. John will get some bulbs in the ground for spring flowers.  And we’ll see what the week brings. Enjoy…

No comments:

Post a Comment