Along with the arrival of Spring flora has come the arrival of the birds. The Goldfinches are returning in increasing numbers and the House Martins have been here for the past two weeks.They are busily making their nest under the eaves of the chimney. They're quite a sight as they take to the sky to collect insects for their dinner. As we were outside last night for one last walk, the woodpeckers could be heard in the woods as they worked well into the evening. Perhaps they're in there creating totem poles. They certainly work hard enough.
I wish I could say that's all the "fauna" that returned this week. The high frequency mouse blasters that I installed last year kept us mouse-free for the season. Nary a one. Then in the wee hours of the morning Thursday I was awakened by crashing sounds downstairs. A quick peek from the stairs didn't reveal much so I returned to bed (John was away) and, just for safe measure, closed my bedroom door. When I awoke, Roosevelt came round the stairway to say good morning, but didn't accompany me downstairs. He didn't even come when called for breakfast. Finally, he began to call me! He kept going to the front door and when I finally followed, I could see it. At the bottom of the stairs there lay a mouse. Probably dead by most assessments, but I have learned that appearances are not always truth. So, no dog to help me out on this one, I retrieved the handy mouse-catching bowl, placed it over the "gift", and finally took it outside where all was thrown into the grass and remained there until the head gardener returned that evening. As they say in crime stories, he's the "cleaner".
We had breakfast with friends yesterday before doing all those weekend things that wait for us all week. John spent time mowing and gardening. I did my regular errands and then took a trip to the quilt shop at Port Gamble. I didn't find the fabric I want, so another trip to another shop is needed. Oh dear (she says, feigning fatigue). We received the life-size statue that honors our dear old hard-headed brown dog. She sits in the lawn/meadow/jungle clearing looking out into the woods as she would do when she was with us. We'll add a tree to shade her. It's unnervingly life-like and although the color is different, the shape is true. I added a collar yesterday. We're not over missing her yet. Maybe we never will be. But, gradually, love replaces and edges out the grief. We're getting there...
No comments:
Post a Comment