The house martins left. Two weeks ago today, they all took off as is their habit. I don't know how they decide who will return the next year. Maybe it's the same mating pair and the kids all have to find their own spot with a mate. But they get real chatty for the few days just before they leave as if they are all talking about the trip ahead. Since they live just outside our bedroom window, it's pleasant to hear them twitting in the evening.
The rabbits are still here, making their morning and evening visits to the grass and clover. On Friday evening, we had a visit by one of the young coyotes. He ran around the yard excitedly nosing into the usual rabbit haunts before he disappeared into the woods. Just this afternoon, I saw a pair of bald eagles overhead, on their way over the woods. Lots of action here down here in the brown dog holler. As for the humans, we have had a lovely weekend. Actually we have had a month of sunny, temperate weather. I have even had a few days when I didn't wear even my windbreaker to work as it's been cool, but not chilly, in the morning. Walking to the ferry in the evening has been on the warm side.
John picked me up from an earlier park and ride on Friday and I was able to leave work early, catching the 3:45 ferry. So, we went to dinner at Sogno di Vino in Poulsbo and thus began the weekend! Yesterday, we managed to get in a trip to the nursery in the afternoon to pick up a few more annuals to fill out the flower boxes on the deck. John has cut down an amazing lot of nettles along the road side of the yard. And he picked just about the last of the raspberries for this year. Just in time as the blackberries will come in very soon. He's taken some cuttings of the lavender and is putting them in some magic potion to propagate as I write.
It's hard to believe it's the last weekend in July. We are anticipating our vacation in September now. All the plans have been made and it's only the packing to be done. Italy here we come! In the meantime, the month should pass quickly as we both have much work to do. John was able to return to his regular schedule of visiting California twice monthly. And I have lots happening at my work to keep me busy. So, to August I say "Bring it on"!
No comments:
Post a Comment