Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Difference a Brown Dog Makes

Life has come back to a more even keel. I’ll admit that we were devastated by the thought of losing our beloved brown dog. Those of you who have enjoyed a close connection with an animal won’t be surprised. And those who don’t understand what all the fuss was about, well, I probably don’t understand that either. In any event, we picked up our Zoe from the Humane Shelter some 17 miles south where she had been dropped off by a kind person on Saturday. She was found on the road nearby and probably very soon after starting her unauthorized journey. We are thankful for that because she has no sense when it comes to roads and cars, usually just running to and fro across traffic. She did the one thing we couldn’t imagine she had done because she slipped out of sight so quickly and not near the road (or so we thought). I received an email on Sunday night (which wasn’t discovered until Monday morning) from a shelter volunteer who saw my posting on craigslist. And a Humane Society Officer phoned us Monday morning to say that they had our dog which was just confirmed by our vet since Zoe was wearing her rabies tag. She now wears a licensing tag as well! She looked pretty forlorn laying there in her “cell”. But she is a dog who lives in the moment (aren’t they all?) and those sad times were quickly forgotten. She had a couple vaccinations and a deworming treatment when she arrived at the shelter (standard procedure we were told) and her “mug shot” was telling as she looked quite “worried”. Sure, a car ride was fun, but how and why had she ended up in this place, she was probably asking herself. How could my humans let me get lost?? But we all slept well and soundly last night. I’m especially relieved because John has gone to the Bay Area today and the house would have felt very empty without Zoe’s company.


But there is more to report. I had an interview for a position at a hospital in Bremerton last week. They have been working through my background check and references and I am waiting for a thumbs up or down. In the meantime, I have been canning jam from our blackberries and also some strawberries which we bought. We’re also making some blackberry liqueur which will be a first. It should be ready just in time for our fall visitors. I have resorted now to freezing the blackberries that John brings in daily. I’ll use them over the winter.


In the midst of our dog crisis, John walked down to our nearest neighbors and asked them to let us know if they saw any signs of Zoe. We learned that they are a young couple with 2 small boys and they moved here from San Jose! They told him that the people across the road (we can only see their mailbox; the driveway goes up and into trees) are from Santa Cruz! It’s a veritable haven for California ex-pats! We’re planning to have some kind of neighborhood get together/get to know each other in the future. John was also told to forget whatever we have heard about snow up here because last year these folks were snowbound for a week! I’m planning to increase the shelves in the pantry with that news and lay in “provisions” before the winter. We could certainly survive on jam!


We have been here officially three months now. The days have grown shorter quickly. Today, when I took John to the airport transporter, it was pitch black at 5:30am. By the time I got home just before 6:30 it was quite light. Still, that’s a big difference from our last trip 3 weeks ago, and an even bigger difference from May when it was light at 4:15. Sunset is just after 8pm now. In June it was nearly 10:30. But the weather is holding out and it is predicted to be 80 by the weekend. I don’t know how long that will last. Leaves are already falling. But even in October, it will be mid to upper 60s. Good Autumn temperatures.


Well, I have someone coming today for an estimate on an “invisible” fence. On Friday, I will have one from the “visible” type. It’s always something…

No comments:

Post a Comment