Well, it’s the end of the week (again!). Where does time go? Another week and we will have been in this new place for 4 months (a third of a year). I was thinking about the way in which the last year has passed, seemingly at lightening speed. How I was “just over there” a moment ago. Or so it seems.
John will return tonight. He will arrive to find a simply beautiful weekend on tap. The weather has warmed, the sun is bright, and this morning I was enchanted by how clear the stars were shining (as I was outside with the brown dog at 5:15). It will be an “outside” kind of weekend; mowing grass, trimming back the jungle, and breathing deeply. We have plans for Saturday and Sunday evenings.
I’m finishing off some “inside” jobs today: washing windows (though part of that happens outside to be fair), washing floors, laundry, etc. I like to tear through it when I’m on my own. We ordered some rugs to go in the living and dining rooms and they should arrive this next week. That will make it a little more cozy as fall and winter approach.
Speaking of the brown dog, she is doing very well on the new containment system. She is off-lead full-time now and that allows her to run and stretch which makes her a happier dog. Until next Thursday, one of us humans must be present outside when she is there. I think that’s more to offer her praise and reassurance should she venture close enough to get “a correction” (as they call it in the business). We were cautioned that when the training posts were replaced with the down-to-business posts on the collar, she would react more strongly. As the trainer explained, “It’s like seeing a scary movie. Somebody’s going to scream, but it doesn’t mean you’re hurt”. The static charge startles her. It doesn’t harm her. And it has caused a couple “screams”. But she recovers right away and is off again after a reassuring pat and praise. Next Thursday we are to allow her to be outside sometimes without us present (but watching from a window, to be sure). I’m feeling much more confident that this invisible system will actually keep her contained and safe. At least until she sees the rabbit…
No comments:
Post a Comment