Some weeks are quiet. Just the normal ebb and flow of things, you know. John left for California Monday and I hit the ground running after being away the previous week. Seemed like that all week. I will admit that I found time to indulge in a guilty pleasure. I enjoyed reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo while I traveled and I started the 2nd book in the Twilight saga on my way home, finishing the 3rd one yesterday. Evenings while John was away, I would sit on the front porch and read. Not great works of literature, but an engaging read nonetheless. I'll be off to the bookstore today to replenish.
John arrived home Thursday and we returned to dance lessons Friday evenings for the next 4 weeks. We're doing East Coast Swing (I think). It's fun at least and we get some measure of exercise. At least we both end up somewhat stiff afterward so there must be some exercise credit in there. The weekend is full of usual weekend "stuff". We took time to go into the Farmers Market yesterday. I was actually looking for the woman who sells these nearly indestructible catnip mice. We picked one up last year at the Market and it gets a good workout from the dog and the cats. It would be nice to have another one or two around. We didn't find her there this week, but it was nice to walk around and see all the wonderful produce. I didn't buy any of it as we are set for vegetables this week. Our garden is coming along quite nicely given the delayed summer conditions. The peas have grown into a small forest (picture at the end). We'll have some to eat soon. I tried the kale last week and it was delicate and yummy. And the lettuce will be available for salad this week. Add to that the herbs that are right outside the kitchen and we'll have green stuff on the table. The rutabagas, beets, squash, cucumbers, fennel, carrots, potatoes, and brussel sprouts are growing, but harvest is a ways off. And we have some tomato plants in the sunniest part of the lawn/meadow/jungle clearing valiantly trying to grow. Difficult crop to grow up here.
SInce I was away over my birthday, we celebrated it again this week by going to dinner at the Four Swallows restaurant on Bainbridge Island. It certainly is my all time favorite up here, but pricey enough to be a "special event" venue. It's popular with Seattle-ites as well since they can ferry over and walk to the restaurant. But we had our reservation and enjoyed the evening very much.
We'll Skype with some friends this morning and then do some yardwork, I think. The sunshine is too good to waste.

No comments:
Post a Comment