Saturday, September 18, 2010

Walkin' Loose

Aloha! We've just spent the last week in Kauai. While we were waiting in the airport in Lihue yesterday, I think I finally put my finger on the effect Hawaii has on folks. They "walk loose". Yep. That's it. I noticed it in myself and in our fellow travelers. There's a difference in the way one walks after a visit to these islands. The stride is a little longer, definitely less hurried, the hips a little looser, and the shoulders definitely lower. It's got relaxation written all over it. Maybe it's the consistently warm temperatures or the sunshine or the startling colors of it all. It's just a big "aaahhhhh" from the time you get there and for a while after returning. At least that's what I'm going to hope for.
We stayed at the Westin Princeville resort on the north side and enjoyed watching the sunrise and hearing the wake-up call of the roosters that have free run on the island. One fellow stood on our lanai and crowed proudly. Chickens, chicks, and roosters run wild all over the island and have no predators. Since I happen to seriously like chickens, this was a treat. Kauai is a quiet island compared to Maui. But it is absolutely beautiful. We did a little snorkeling on He'e Beach and at the beach at the St. Regis Hotel nearby. We also saw a beautiful sunset from that beach and John took many photos. I'll post some as he gets them sorted. Probably my favorite town environment is Hanalei. It's got a surfer feel and an eclectic bunch of small shops and some eateries. We picked up our snorkel gear there.
We did the requisite visit to Spouting Horn and the Waimea Canyon as well as the Kilohana Plantation (rum tasting room was closed), and we visited a couple waterfalls. The luau that we booked was disappointing after our spectacular evening on Maui last year. We'll skip that next time. And we agree there will be "next time". This visit was a scouting expedition; get the lay of the land and plan for the future. There are many places to discover, whether by hiking, snorkeling, maybe even kayaking.
For now, I'll just settle for walkin' loose a  while longer. A hui hou! (See ya later!)...

No comments:

Post a Comment