I'm a patient person...really, I am. But seriously, it's time for some sunshine here. We're caught in this pattern of 50 degree, cloudy with showers and it's getting a little tiresome. It's Spring after all. (And that concludes this portion of the blog...the whining portion. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.)
Living in the countryside has it's many perks, but it can also have its challenges. That was the case this week when, on Monday night, some locals looking for a place to drink some beer and sit around a campfire chose the lot that is for sale across the road. Once they drive up the steep slope, it's fairly secluded, but I noticed it because their vehicle made a heck of a racket going up the driveway. And of course, they were lighting a fire in the middle of a woods! (okay...so it's a pretty wet woods) My peaceful existence here in the countryside felt a little violated and I didn't sleep very well (John was away). Next time (and I'm sure there will be one), our retired crime fighting friend advises a call to the local Sheriff's department. Apparently they are not unfamiliar with this springtime ritual.
Since it's been raining (pretty much every damn day...but I won't go there), activities tend to be those that can be done inside. I've been putting more energy into the family tree. I am back into the 1200s in one branch (my maternal grandfather's side) where I've discovered plenty of English nobility (Knight's, Earls, Lady this and Lord that) and some beheadings (one down to being on the wrong side of the Henry VIII divorce from Catherine of Aragon) and a Welsh nobleman who fought beside King Henry V in the battle of Agincourt. I had always heard we had some Welsh ancestry but hadn't discovered it until now and it's quite a rich history there. I am finding most of my ancestry is English with a wee bit of German and Swiss thrown in. While I knew my father's side was English (with some Irish that I haven't discovered/documented yet), I though most of my mother's side was German. The findings of the family tree have really debunked that misconception. No wonder I like Marmite so much!
John intends to plant peas in the garden tomorrow when the sun is promised to show in spurts. We will go to the monthly Farm Breakfast today, run a few errands, and tonight we are going to dinner and a dance with a 1920s-30s Speakeasy theme. I will wear a flapper-esque dress, a feather boa, and a headband, and John will wear his black and white sport coat with black shirt and white tie. The password to get in the place is "hoochie momma" :-) Should be lots of fun - even if it's raining...
No comments:
Post a Comment