Saturday, December 31, 2011

Auld Lang Syne

Translation: "Old Long Ago". The last day of 2011 brings reflection of another year gone that was filled with friends and family, meaningful work, and some time spent in other places. The comfort of the familiar mixed with the excitement of the new. Christmas holiday is over but the spirit of it will linger. This soon-to-be new year brings us new beginnings and new opportunities, but not without appreciation of the auld lang syne.

I spent (or will spend) the official "holiday" Mondays at work, not willing to pay for a day off when I will want that time later in this year. Many people do take those days off, so the place is quiet and the traffic is almost non-existent. A win-win. Since we didn't have any visitors visiting, spending the day at home seemed an unnecessary indulgence. John stayed up here for that second week and that has been nice. He returns to California on Tuesday.

Tonight we will celebrate the New Year at our favorite restaurant Four Swallows. We signed on for the 8:30 seating and hopefully I won't fall asleep before dessert is served. Except for an overnight trip on the train from Paris to Florence when we ate at 10:30 and family dinners in Italy which lasted until nearly midnight, my evening meal usually occurs much earlier (as does my bedtime). Then January 1 brings the traditional observance of the Rose Parade. I can't help it. I have been watching the parade since my grandparents got the first color television and we all gathered at their house to watch and eat lunch in the living room (an unheard of privilege in those days). Now I can watch it in hi-def, well before lunch time. Or I can record it and watch it later. But watch it I will.

The rain has returned. Once the calendar said "winter" was officially here, the weather obliged with typical Northwest rain. This morning it is 29 degrees and crunchy again and promises to be a mostly dry day. Tomorrow the rain starts up again. The sunrises have been gorgeous this week, though. The storms move through overnight and by morning the clouds open up just enough to let the sunrise show through and reflect off the formations. Some very pretty sights on my way to work.

I think I'll leave 2011 here. I'll be back next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment