Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Up, Up, and Away

John went flying with our friend Bob 2 weekends ago. He caught some nice pictures of places we haven't been. This is top of Mt. St. Helens and you can see the dome that is forming and the steam rising from it. Then they flew as close to Mt. Rainier as they were allowed back over Olympia and the State Capitol Building and on up the Hood Canal to Port Townsend airfield where they stopped for lunch. On the way back, they circled the house. It was a good day. I stayed home to have a massage (already scheduled) and then work on taxes. What can I say....

As you can tell, the weather that weekend was fabulous. We're back to rain, but it's only the light variety. And the temperatures are in the mid-forties. Not bad. Not snow.

The gate is finally in place and working! Actually, it makes a big difference to my every-other-week "home alone" existence. At least I'm assured that no unannounced visitors will visit. Now we discovered that some of the stones on the entry pillars have fallen away and underneath is that same type of disintegrating concrete that was originally used to mount the gate mechanism. Well, right now it's not in a place that can be seen, so we'll play around with some "repairs" and if push comes to shove, the pillars will just have to come down. They look nice, but not essential now that the gate is properly mounted on posts. Home ownership....the hits just keep on coming.

Otherwise, it's been pretty much the usual routine of work-home-work-home-weekend! I'm composing a color palette for a quilt I'm starting. It's in that conceptual stage where perfection is still possible. The tulips and daffodils have poked their green stalks through the dirt, anticipating spring. We might have lost the crocuses to our wet winter this year. Some of the trees have buds already. And the light is starting and staying longer each day. I drive to and from work in daylight if not sunshine. That's a relief. Speaking of driving to work, that should happen pretty soon so watch this space for more to come...


Olympia WA and the state capitol building

 Mount Rainier fly-by

No comments:

Post a Comment