Monday, September 1, 2014

September 1, 2014

That's the date on the calendar and it reminds me that I have not posted in a long time - perhaps 4 months! Well, I've been busy. I feel busy. But maybe the year is winding down and we'll have some quiet months soon. Everything in balance, right?

The summer has been fabulous up here - loads of sunshine and warmer weather than I necessarily like. But it has been lovely. The New Orleans trip was a lot of fun. I'm so glad my sisters and I had some time together on our own. Next year I will be presenting a session at the conference (the reason for New Orleans) and that one will be in Orlando. Maybe we can get together again out there! My aunt and uncle from Indiana spent a week here in July and we played tourist with them. Hurricane Ridge in the Olympics was probably one of my favorite day trips with them.

The home front has been puttering along. The garden has produced more than ever under the attentive eye of the Head Gardener. He is successfully growing broccoli and Brussels sprouts for the first time and we have winter squash and loads of runner beans. I am making and freezing zucchini bread which will be a nice reminder of summer this winter. Carrots are actually growing this year and should be a tasty addition to our table before long.  We have three tomato plants that are growing a large number of the lovely things. And I have been freezing bags of blackberries for making jam on a free weekend. We don't work at growing the berries, but my Head Gardener and Horticulturist does the gathering. Soon it will be time to put the shallots and the garlic in the ground so they can grow during winter.

We have had some deer this summer, making regular visits and not doing too much in the way of damage, except that they clipped the raspberries down to about chest height and the bounty was reduced to an occasional handful; nice with yogurt, but not enough for jam or a pie. Otherwise, except for one gigantic raccoon, we haven't seen other wildlife in the garden this summer.

We recently traveled to California to celebrate the second birthday of that precious grandson. He is adorable to the max and it's just delightful to see him grow and develop. How sweet to hear him say "C'mon dada" or "Mama, help me!". Of course, this being his second birthday, there are lots of "no" accompanied by a precocious turn of the head. And while we were there we had an opportunity to spend (a little) time with the grown-up kids, getting to hear and see what is going on in their lives.

Before we know it, Autumn will be here in full regalia. Some leaves are beginning to fall already and we heard a large crash in the woods earlier this week as a tree (probably an Alder) fell (nature's tree trimming getting underway).  It actually rained this weekend, bringing in cooler temps. We are looking ahead to a vacation in December. But before that happens, Autumn will require some of our attention.

John still goes to California twice a month and will continue that until he decides otherwise. I have a full plate at work, even some Saturdays on the horizon. I was just selected for a position on the Nursing Practice Advisory Group and am excited to contribute to my profession at the state-level of policymaking. And, as I mentioned earlier, I submitted an abstract for a session at the national conference this next year and it was accepted. Very exciting! Lots to keep us busy through the "quiet months".

No comments:

Post a Comment