Saturday, December 13, 2014

A very Merry Christmas rant

I want to know what is up with the increasingly defiant, stand-your-ground movement to wish people a Merry Christmas. It's as if Happy Holidays is some kind of personal affront. I don't believe I have ever seen a rule regarding what one may or may not say in the way of greetings during this "holiday season". But I see and hear way too much about how Merry Christmas has been replaced by somehow less meaningful well-wishing. I guess it depends on your filters.

I say it's okay to share your wishes for happiness in whatever form floats your boat. I don't feel offended or demeaned by any sentiments that wish me happiness or loving thoughts celebrated by whatever holiday or path you follow. I have known and have friends who are Christian, Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu, Wiccan, Agnostic, Atheist, and am fully supportive of those no-doubt Druidic ancestors in my family tree. Personally, celebrating the solstice is good for me.  It was, after all, in place before the "Christmas" label was assigned to this time of year (despite historical facts). And as for the season, believing in the magic of Santa is for many (myself included) a wonderful feeling to have; to believe in goodness, sharing, and delightful wonderment. In those personal preferences, I don't discount others who believe in something quite different. I am pleased that they choose to include me in their thoughts during this season of many names. So enjoy and celebrate the Solstice, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah,and Blessed Be. It's all good and we can't have too much of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment