Sunday, July 19, 2009

Sights to see, stuff to do...

It's been a busy week. Kate was up and we had some "girl time". When someone visits, it is a forcing function for getting away from the house and finding new things to see and do in the area. Our list included visiting the local ceramics workshop and putting our creative talents to work. I have never painted ceramics before but I can see how it could become a regular activity. Like watercolor, it is quiet and meditative and creative. I liked it and will surely go back. We traveled to Port Townsend which is a Victorian seaport full of funky little shops and eateries as well as some nice views of the water. The drive is also quite pretty. On the way we drove through Port Gamble which is what is left of an old logging port. It is a lovely "village" with a few restored historical buildings and a very pretty water view. It's the site for various weekend festivals during the year and a popular wedding venue. We also hopped on the ferry to Seattle and explored the big city on foot. Very do-able. In between the sightseeing there were trips to the local Market (which is a must-see in its own right), meals on the deck, the Farmers Market, the chocolate store, and much more. Another friend from the UK arrived on Thursday for an overnight visit while on business in Portland. He arrived on a crutch recuperating from some surgery on an achilles tendon, so we spared him the walkabout tour of Poulsbo! We had a good visit though and we'll do more on the next visit.

Kate was charged with teaching me how to knit socks while she was here. I am a poor student. I find the instructions and the fingering for this absolutely foreign. Worse than that really. She is eternally optimistic and a good and patient teacher, but it is not an activity that I can seem to get my head around. I will look for a crochet pattern that uses that yarn instead. I have better luck with a single hook. You know...KISS (Keep it simple, stupid).

We put her on the local airport transporter van Saturday afternoon (saved us spending four hours driving to/from the airport and we were grateful for that since there were already 3 trips that week) and will enjoy planning another visit. It was a very good week. Remarkably, I don't think we visited a single Starbucks!

So, we're back to more routine activities. I'll pot some plants today and get some weeds trimmed back from the driveway. We don't have a yard so much as a "clearing" where the vegetation makes a continual effort to take back the space. John is once again mowing. He'll do the second stage today. And maybe the third tomorrow will complete it for this week. The dry weather means the grass has not grown quite so fast. And there's an electrical box along the drive that he needs to repair from being backed into by the movers. So, there's a trip to the hardware today I think. The shower door was installed this week and the shower is being used, but I think we will get a new shower head while we are at the hardware. This one is a little anemic. I don't mind "low flow" as long as what there is of it comes out with a little "oomph". I drink decaf coffee. The shower is my main means of waking up! Talk to ya later...

No comments:

Post a Comment