Saturday, July 4, 2009
Lights in the Sky
We went into town last evening to watch the fireworks. I love watching them. I have no idea how the people who make them get them to do the things they do: change colors, rotate and spin, make different shapes, twinkle, etc. And I don't need or want to know. I can just watch and be delighted by the display. It's all good. We waited until 8:30 to make our way there only to discover that nearly all the other 7000 residents apparently were planning to be there as well! It was a giant street party with downtown streets closed off and people everywhere. We found parking maybe a couple miles from the town center (right where the farmers market is held actually) and walked in from there. The waterfront was pretty crowded with folks who had obviously staked out their spot much earlier so we just wandered about and enjoyed the music and people-watched for a while. I knew there would be a Navy band playing and I expected a traditional band playing patriotic songs. That wasn't the case. Yes, they wore their Navy uniforms. But they played rock! And the lead singer was a young woman who had a kind of Janis Joplin voice goin' on. The fireworks started at 10:30 from the bay and they had music to accompany them. A little Ray Charles, Queen, Louis Armstrong, the requisite patriotic songs and more. It lasted about 20 minutes. Actually one of the best display I've seen (rivaling Disneyland, Great America, and more) Not bad for a little burg. A definite keeper. Enjoy the holiday...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment