Saturday, January 28, 2012

Thoughts of an Unhurried Mind (or Meaningless Ramblings of a Loose Associative State)...You Decide

Blink! That's the week. Maybe since John arrived home just in time for the weekend to start last week, the whole week seemed to speed by just in time for him to leave again. Most of the snow has melted except in a few sheltered areas. The lawn/meadow/jungle clearing squishes from all the moisture. We have a clear day on tap for today which will be enjoyed thoroughly.

John took the hardheaded brown dog to the vet on Thursday for what usually ends up being a $300 outing. She had her thyroid level checked after being on medication and we will adjust the dose slightly upwards. Also had to get more of that low-protein kibble that she eats reluctantly. Still, she looks good and has lots of energy for the old gal that she is. We're grateful for that.

The mouse wars continue. After John went mano o'mouso with that wee critter on his engine block last weekend, he set out a number of traps in his engine compartment (3? 4? 5?) and so far the body count is up to three. There doesn't seem to be another solution to the problem. You can bet I'm not riding in his car any time soon as memories of having a mouse in my car as a teenager come swarming back. Still a little PTMD there (Post-Traumatic Mouse Disorder).

I acquired a new sewing machine this week! The one I had is older than my kids who are no longer kids. It has seen a lot of Halloween costumes, curtains, a couch cover, and various clothing over the years, but it wasn't very helpful at quilting. I've grown fond of machine quilting, but you need a machine that has a longer head at least. I have a quilt to make as a gift, so this spurred me out of my sewing machine inert state and the new one arrived this week. Funny thing, this machine doesn't do a zig-zag stitch. I guess I just assumed all machines did that. I rarely use one (which is probably why it isn't on all machines).

On a completely different note, I also bought a WII console and accessories from someone who was selling one at work. Now John and I can do yoga poses or compete in all kinds of activities. Does that thought make you smile? It does me. I also scored two rocking chairs from someone else at work. We'll pick them up tomorrow. You never know when one (or two) will come in handy.

I have been following a vegan diet since January 1st and like it a lot. The resident omnivore is not so inspired but he is going along with it with only a modicum of grumbling (and for those of you who know him, I say that in earnest). Fortunately he is only confronted with these animal-free meals for dinner when he's at home. For my part, I am enjoying finding foods and meals that satisfy the vegan lifestyle. And on that note, the weekend has begun. I need to get some things underway. Let's talk later...

No comments:

Post a Comment