Sunday, July 29, 2012

A Week Away....

I've been away for the past week. I spent the week in Indiana, staying with my aunt and uncle. They live near Nappanee amidst fields and farmhouses. As my son would say, it's camping dark out there. It was very good to see them (and some cousins as well) and be in a different place for a while. The weather was hot by my acquired Northwest standards, but lots of sunshine and a few thunderstorms which they dearly needed. The corn is struggling this year as well as most every other growing thing. But we had fresh melons, tomatoes, cucumbers, and sweet corn from the garden every day for dinner.

As I drove into town daily, I was rewarded with the lush green of the fields all around, clothes hanging on lines to dry, tidy farmhouses, and more horse-drawn buggies than I can count. Being in the middle of Amish country has a way of reminding you to take life at a little slower pace, that being "connected" doesn't mean spending all day on the Internet or having a working cell phone so you can be accessible every moment of the day. My cell phone didn't function out there (no coverage) and while this was a trip where I valued having access, it was manageable. I eventually bought a prepaid phone to be able to more easily do the business I needed to do while there. But I'm not so convinced now about those data plans and that 4G coverage. I got along very well thank you without all of that. So, I foresee going back to a simpler plan on my cell phone once my current contracts expire.

I met some wonderful folks out there; new friendships were sowed. In all, most folks I came into contact with were "midwest pleasant"; similar to the way I find people up here in Washington. It was interesting to see how much has changed since I was a full-time resident there, albeit a youngster, and how little some other things have changed. There are the requisite big chain stores cropping up in shopping areas along highways, but there are still brick roads in some of the smaller towns. The drive-in where I first had a milkshake is still there, but the building now houses a Subway (the drive-in was much better).The orthopedic medical supply manufacturers have their roots out there and they have a significant presence. But there are also small businesses that have been there a long time. The only time I saw a Starbuck's was in the Chicago airport. In all, the trip was unexpectedly refreshing and renewing.

So, I'm back to spend a day with my dearly beloved and then he is off to California for his regular week in the office. Sometimes you need to do things face-to-face. We will enjoy each other's company at our leisure once he returns. Coming home is always nice...

No comments:

Post a Comment