Well, I thought I wouldn't have any more to say until we had returned from Maui. Apparently that was my cold talking. Most of the time I have something to say. Some of the time I just keep it to myself :-) Really.
We have had our first bit of rain! Not a lot, but a light shower overnight and some sprinkles today. Smells really fresh. You can always smell the cedar trees outside, but they are a bit more noticeable in the damp air. We are trying to figure out what types of berries we have. There are several types. Some look like small raspberries, changing from yellow to bright red. Very tart. Some look like small blackberries, dark and tasty. Maybe they are actually blackberries. Then there are some which I think are huckleberries. They look like blueberries, but smaller, and kind of grow hanging from the branch end. They taste a little tart. And then there are these tiny, very red berries which grow in clumps. I haven't got a clue what they could be. I haven't tasted them either. A book about Northwest berries is on its way to help.
Have decided to go ahead with composting despite the possibility of bears/deer/raccoons etc. If they figure out there's a potential food source there, we'll deal with it then. So far, the only regular visitor is a brown rabbit who munches grass. That's a good thing since it takes John about 4 hours to mow that grass. Shall we start a pool to see how long it takes him to acquiesce to a riding mower? Right now he is calling it "exercise". Sweet.
July promises to be a busy month between visitors and "stuff we want to get done". The latter category holds things like putting up a shed, putting stuff in the shed, building planting boxes for the raised beds, staining the deck, cutting back some of the jungle that threatens to take over, as well as putting up the rest of the pictures and such in the house. And we want to hike back in the woods to see what is in there. From the perimeter you can see some areas where it seems to thin out a bit and the sun just sparkles among the trees. Oh yeah, there's work too :-) I haven't even got to the "my stuff" list yet. It will all come in time.
Call me a wimp but I found that I can have Safeway deliver groceries out here. Then I can just get fresh things from the Farmers Market or more exotic things from Central Market near town. You might think I have a luxury of unlimited time in which to do things like this. It's interesting how the day just flies by. Going out for groceries is not high on my priority list.
We had this trip to Maui planned before we ever thought about selling the house and moving. It comes at a perfect time though. Tomorrow will be the anniversary of the day John and I first met 12 years ago. I actually prefer to celebrate that date more than our wedding anniversary which is what the trip originally intended to do. But, whether we celebrate 10 years or 12, Father's Day, or the Solstice, what better place than Maui! Should be a delightful experience. Aloha....
No comments:
Post a Comment